With a new season comes a fresh batch of delicious recipes. There are plenty of delicious desserts to be made in autumn, but there’s nothing that warms you more than a fresh batch of cookies.
These delicious Ginger cookie smores topped with rich hot chocolate espresso are a delicious treat as the dark nights draw in.
Click the image below to download the full recipe or watch our expert bakers in action here.
• 225g self-raising flour
• 110g soft brown muscavado sugar
• 10g ground ginger
• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 110g cold unsalted butter, chopped
into small chunks
• 3 ½ tbsps slightly warmed golden
• 12 white medium-sized
• 120g good quality milk chocolate
(ideally the kind that comes in
wide, flat squares, such as Green &
Hot Chocolate Espresso:
• 1 tbsp cocoa powder
• 1 tbsp granulated sugar
• 75g milk chocolate chips
• 240ml whole milk
• 6 shots espresso
1. Preheat the oven to CircoTherm 160⁰C. Line two baking trays
with baking parchment or silicone mats.
2. First make the ginger cookies. Place the flour in a bowl with
the sugar, ginger and bicarbonate of soda. Mix together,
then add the butter and rub together with your fingertips.
Stir in the warmed syrup until the mixture comes together as
3. Take a tablespoon of the mixture, and roll into a ball, around
the size of a walnut. Place on the baking tray. Repeat until all
the mixture is used (you should get around 24). Make sure
there’s plenty of space between the cookies, as they will
spread when baking *. Place in the oven to bake for 10-12
minutes until golden. Remove from the oven. Leave to cool
on the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool
further. The cookies will harden as they cool.
4. Turn up the oven to CircoTherm 180⁰C (for the
marshmallows). Keep the baking trays out from earlier
(replace the parchment if needed).
5. Whilst the cookies are cooling, make the hot chocolate
espresso. Place the cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate chips,
and milk in a small saucepan. Heat over a low heat, stirring
slowly until the chocolate melts and the liquid is hot. Add the
hot espresso and pour into 6 espresso cups.
6. Place the cookies on the baking trays, flat-side-up. Top 12 of
them with a marshmallow, and the other 12 with a piece of
chocolate. Place in the oven for 3 minutes until the chocolate
melts and the marshmallow softens.
7. Leave to cool for a minute, then carefully (they will be hot!)
sandwich together a chocolate and a marshmallow topped
cookie. Repeat until you have 12 S’mores.
8. Serve with the hot chocolate espresso.
* Cookaholics tip – For best results use dough immediately.
Dough frozen or chilled will result in a smaller, rounder cookie (if
you do chill the dough, flatten it out a little before baking to help
it spread properly).